Här kan se resultatet från utvärderingen och exportera statistiken till ett annat program. Det går också att
göra en enkel filtrering genom att klicka på svarsalternativen och kommentarerna eller en avancerad filtrering
genom att använda knappen längst ned.
Computer communication, EDA342
Öppen för svar: 2008-12-17 - 2009-01-22
Antal svar: 24
Procent av deltagarna som svarat: 27%
Kontaktperson: Lars Nordlund»
Your own effort
1. How many hours per week did you spend on this course?We mean total time, that is, it comprises the time you spent in class and the time you spent on your own work. Try to estimate the average time over the entire study period.
|At most 15 hours/week»||8|| 33%|
|Around 20 hours/week»||7|| 29%|
|Around 25 hours/week»||6|| 25%|
|Around 30 hours/week»||2|| 8%|
|At least 35 hours/week»||1|| 4%|
2. How large part of the teaching offered did you attend?
- Unfortunately the course"s schedule collided with another course I took.» (0%)
- just a few lectures at the beginning of the course» (25%)
- because of some lectures of other subject were overlapping on same time » (50%)
Goals and goal fulfilmentThe course syllabus states the course goals in terms of learning outcomes, i.e., knowledge, skills and attitudes to be acquired by the student during the course.
3. How understandable are the course goals?24 svarande
|I have not seen/read the goals»||1|| 4%|
|The goals are difficult to understand»||1|| 4%|
|The goals give some guidance, but could be clearer»||12|| 50%|
|The goals clearly describe what I am supposed to learn»||10|| 41%|
- with due respect.i want to mention one thing that is very important for a student point of view.there must be more practical work for communication course.and the teacher assistent are not good.they have no enough knowledge for practical lab.we have asked many question regarding assignment 3 in the lab but they could not satisfy us.» (The goals give some guidance, but could be clearer)
- The teachers were also very good at pointing out what we should focus on and what were the goals during the lectures.» (The goals clearly describe what I am supposed to learn)
4. Are the goals reasonable considering your background and the number of credits?Answer this this question and the succeeding one, only if you do know the course goals.
|No, the goals are set too low»||1|| 4%|
|Yes, the goals seem reasonable»||19|| 86%|
|No, the goals are set too high»||2|| 9%|
- more practical work is included in the course.case studies should be given in a group of 3-4 students.» (Yes, the goals seem reasonable)
- however I have not studied math to any extent and the information i got before applying to the course did not make me realize that there was that much math in the course. some supervisors assumed we knew the math others asked and really explained the basics of the calculations aswell.» (Yes, the goals seem reasonable)
5. Did the examination assess whether you have reached the goals?22 svarande
|No, not at all»||1|| 4%|
|To some extent»||9|| 40%|
|Yes, definitely»||9|| 40%|
|I don"t know/have not been examined yet»||3|| 13%|
Teaching and course administration
6. To what extent has the teaching been of help for your learning?24 svarande
|Small extent»||4|| 16%|
|Some extent»||13|| 54%|
|Large extent»||4|| 16%|
|Great extent»||3|| 12%|
- Book, was good, slides where good (which the auhtors of the book had made) Almost every efort made by the teachers and administrative people involved has been the worst ive seen so far at Chalmers.» (Small extent)
- the laborations did give some understanding. however the first assignment with the java web server was HORRIBLE. It is not proportional to demand that students with very little knowledge in JAVA should be able to write a web server.
The skeleton code did include all the network code, but when it crashes, you WILL get socket-exceptions and these are almost impossible to understand if you have no knowledge/experience of networkprograming in java.» (Small extent)
- method of teaching is not good.teacher must give lectures without slides.only give the student main idea of the topic that is very important.one lecture consists of more than 50 slides as the time passes the speed of teacher is also increases.result no understanding what is going on.» (Some extent)
- Lectures were often rather poorly prepared it seemed, and some of the lecturers themselves could be hard to understand because of, frankly, their sometimes poor use of language.» (Some extent)
- The teachers were very good at explaining and i gained a lot of knowlege during the lectures.» (Great extent)
7. To what extent has the course literature and other material been of help for your learning?24 svarande
|Small extent»||0|| 0%|
|Some extent»||6|| 25%|
|Large extent»||8|| 33%|
|Great extent»||10|| 41%|
- The book was among the most boring texts that I have read this far. SOOOO much text and yet so little to say in it, so to speak.» (Some extent)
- I love the literature computer networking！, This is the most intersting literature i read!» (Large extent)
- The book and Internet is a good source for describing these kind of things. » (Large extent)
8. How well did the course administration, web page, handouts etc work?24 svarande
|Very badly»||2|| 8%|
|Rather badly»||5|| 20%|
|Rather well»||12|| 50%|
|Very well»||5|| 20%|
- The organization of course material, handouts and assigment descriptions could be improved a lot. The first programming assigment description was fairly weak in my opinion. The presentation of that assignment was chaotic, and many were still struggeling with their code up until the last minute.» (Very badly)
- Since the lectures were awful (slow, boring, bad English, bad hand writing on the blackboard) most of the students did go there, thus the hand outs works poorly imao.
The web page did exactly give much help with the assignments either (especially the first one, there the "help" was useless). And it took weeks to get assignments uploaded to FIRE-system graded.» (Rather badly)
- it is not like other course web pages these are some how difficult» (Rather badly)
- However, as a GU student I did not know about the deadline for exam registration. It would have been nice to know about such a deadline. » (Rather well)
- quite often the web page was down but the teacher (or who ever the teacher contacted) was quick to get it back up if i sent a mail to point this out. Handouts worked well. » (Rather well)
9. How were the opportunities for asking questions and getting help?24 svarande
|Very poor»||1|| 4%|
|Rather poor»||4|| 16%|
|Rather good»||10|| 41%|
|Very good»||8|| 33%|
|I did not seek help»||1|| 4%|
- I sent an e-mail to the specified course support address, asking a question. I didn"t get a reply.» (Rather poor)
- No help and very bad info was given to course assignment. I"m shocked to see this and surprised it can be this way.» (Rather poor)
- We could ask questions during the lectures and exercises. we could also mail the teacher if we felt the need to (which i didn"t)» (Very good)
- the lectures answer my questions » (I did not seek help)
10. How well has cooperation between you and your fellow students worked?24 svarande
|Very poorly»||1|| 4%|
|Rather poorly»||0|| 0%|
|Rather well»||14|| 58%|
|Very well»||8|| 33%|
|I did not seek cooperation»||1|| 4%|
- I did not got any group mate for lab. I did alone» (Very poorly)
- I knew a person in the class since before and we studied together. I did not see any initiative among the students or from the teachers side to make us cooperate to any large extent. but then again i didnt seek more cooperation then the one person i studied with» (Rather well)
11. How was the course workload?22 svarande
|Too low»||0|| 0%|
|Too high»||2|| 9%|
- I actually don"t know» (?)
- Except the first assignment, see above.» (Adequate)
- There was quite a lot of pages to read before each lecture and since the lectures were three days a week and placed in a row (tuesday, wednesday, thursday) it was hard to have read everything before the lecture since you didn"t have time to let the knowledge sink in for a day or so. An improvement according to me would be to have no more than lecture two days in a row.» (High)
12. How was the total workload this study period?24 svarande
|Too low»||1|| 4%|
|Too high»||6|| 25%|
- That the workload was too high is not this course fault though since i chose what courses to study this term and they were overlapping a lot.» (Too high)
- But not due to this course.» (Too high)
- Only this subject was not bothering But other courses effected badly. (6 projects and 6 assignment of communications subjects of previous quarter beside the study) » (Too high)
13. What is your general impression of the course?24 svarande
- Very interesting subjekt great book but the course itself really is dissapointing.» (Poor)
- And I think the number of students attending to the first lecture compared to the number attending lectures at the end of the course gives a good pointer at the quality of the lectures.» (Poor)
- The organization of the course and the communication between lecturers themselves and between lecturers and students felt like the weakest link in the course.» (Fair)
- There was not good guidelines for the assignments.The security part was not good. It should delivered in the good manner next time.» (Good)
- Knowledge full and good» (Good)
- I would recommed this course to other people however i would warn them about the math.» (Excellent)
14. What should definitely be preserved to next year?- Lab work but maybe different tasks, specially the first one»
- more and more practical work is included and lecture is given self prepared lecture.slides are not good practice of book that followed by teacher.»
- First two labs were helpful.»
- Lab assignments.»
- The teachers and the areas within network they are teaching. »
- All the course yes»
- some of the labs»
15. What should definitely be changed to next year?- We don"t need only basic java skills, rather good java skills for the first assignment. And examination has nothing to do with lab tasks. Lab should count for final grade, otherwise it feels like useless work. Final exam shouldn"t be so theoretical»
- I think the course was too much,It should be trimmed a bit,Otherwise it was fine.»
- The exercise parts felt totally pointless most of the time»
- assistants are not good.they have not enough knowlege. we have asked many questions during practical lab they have no idea.
- Some of the teachers needs to improve their english, hard to understand during lectures»
- The poor organization.»
- All teachors and personel.»
- The planning of the labs. There were two labs, the first one a webserver and second one was about setting up a network. both the labs was chaos, it felt as if the supervisors had not planned at all how to do these. for the webserver they had told us that we should go there if we wanted to present, but we got no info on how this would be done when we got there. There were groups who had not started the assignment who got assisted before those who were there to present their solution got any help. for the network lab there was also no real info when we got there such as that when we had reached a certain point of the lab we needed to collaborate with other groups. »
- FIRST ASSIGNMENT, and the first assignment. and the quality of the lectures.»
- All tutors were good but they should give more time to students. »
- the first lab was very difficult seems that you had to have very much pre-knowledge»
- the groups should be made by the teachers»
16. Additional comments- Just gonna drop everything here instead of hunting for the correct boxes.
I don"t see that I will have any use for anything I"ve learned. Some interesting curiosities though. So maybe if I"m invited to some TV question game.
Felt as most lecturers had been dragged there kicking and screaming. And questions were often met with a gee-this-is-so-boring style of answer.
Some things which seem to be important for the exam was hardly mentioned. The book is rather bad. Low information content per page.
The course was rather easy as such, but made difficult because of previously mentioned things.
So, my tip to you:
- If people don"t want to teach, don"t make them, it"s just bad for everyone.
- Change book.
- Focus more on practical issues. Router configuration, non-trivial network setup, using PGP, and so on. Less on 1970s-might-have-been-used-if-it-didn"t-suck protocol theory.
- Teach teachers English to adequate extent before letting them teach in English...
The main lecturer was good though. No complains there.»
- As a student from GU im not very happy about how the administration for this course was done. I received no information that the course would start (not the first time this happend to me when taking a course at johanneberg) a few classmates of mine who planned to take the course missed the first week of the course and decided not to take it because of that. I called when the course was about to start to get info about where to be and when. I also didn"t get information that there is a deadline when to register for an exam nor that a GU student is not supposed to do it via Chalmers studieportal (which is what the teacher thought) i guess i was supposed to use GU"s kursportal although i have a login to both.. I was late to register for the exam but luckily there was no problem taking the exam.»
- Do something about the first assignment, and the lectures. And change the first assignment.»
- Hopping the best. »