Här kan se resultatet från utvärderingen och exportera statistiken till ett annat program. Det går också att
göra en enkel filtrering genom att klicka på svarsalternativen och kommentarerna eller en avancerad filtrering
genom att använda knappen längst ned.
Power System Analysis, ENM050
Öppen för svar: 2011-10-10 - 2011-10-30
Antal svar: 29
Procent av deltagarna som svarat: 45%
Kontaktperson: Valborg Ekman»
Utbildningsprogram som genomför enkäten: Elektroteknik 300 hp
Your own effort
1. How many hours per week did you spend on this course?We mean total time, that is, it comprises the time you spent in class and the time you spent on your own work. Try to estimate the average time over the entire study period.
|At most 15 hours/week»||2|| 6%|
|Around 20 hours/week»||8|| 27%|
|Around 25 hours/week»||7|| 24%|
|Around 30 hours/week»||9|| 31%|
|At least 35 hours/week»||3|| 10%|
- I should have studied much, because I felt the lack of explanation during lectures.» (Around 30 hours/week)
2. How large part of the teaching offered did you attend?
- I usually attend 100%, this is the first time in four years I think it wasn"t worth it. The lectures where more than confusing. Changing subject, teachers all the time. Having teachers talking Swinglish, Per Norberg cannot hold the transformer part one more year - it"s embarrassing for Chalmers! He surly is very good at the subject, but that dosn"t matter at all when he can"t be understood! Teaching is not only about knowleadge, teaching itself is a very big part as well. The teachers need to talk to each other, make the course feels like one and not many small confusing parts. For example, Lina (really good at teaching but focusing on the wrong stuff) spent time on very basic stuff. Not all in the beginning of the course, some in the beginning, then some weeks later there were lectures on "per unit". It was weeks since we had done tutorials on this and it wasn"t intresting to spend time on things you already know. Peiyuan were the outstanding best teacher! The tutorials were beneath contempt, you couldn"t here what Shemsedin said, you coudn"t see what he was writing, his subscript letters where as big as all the others, making it impossible to follow the exersices! Even when we skipped the tutorials and instead looked at the soloutions online it was a hard time following what happens in the calculation, making many steps at once, not telling what happens.» (50%)
- I attend most of the lectures and the exercises in the begining but then I stopped going to exercises because it did not give me anything. I learned more doing the calculations on my own.» (50%)
- I didn"t attend to the tutorials, did them by myself.» (50%)
- Was sick the first few days but attended all remaining classes.» (100%)
- wish I had spent less because 20-25% of them where of small educative value» (100%)
Goals and goal fulfilmentThe course syllabus states the course goals in terms of learning outcomes, i.e., knowledge, skills and attitudes to be acquired by the student during the course.
3. How understandable are the learning outcomes?27 svarande
|I have not seen/read the goals»||4|| 14%|
|The goals are difficult to understand»||2|| 7%|
|The goals give some guidance, but could be clearer»||10|| 37%|
|The goals clearly describe what I am supposed to learn»||11|| 40%|
Genomsnitt: 3.03 (bidrar till totalt genomsnitt/jämförelseindex)
- Don"t know, I have seen them but I don"t remember» (?)
- I have not read the goals cause as far as I remember there was no structure presented at the beginning, just a lecture reminding the basics for the course» (I have not seen/read the goals)
4. Are the goals reasonable considering your background and the number of credits?Answer this this question and the succeeding one, only if you do know the course goals.
|No, the goals are set too low»||0|| 0%|
|Yes, the goals seem reasonable»||22|| 84%|
|No, the goals are set too high»||4|| 15%|
- The overall subject is utmost important, covering 40% of basic even sufficient knowledge for power engineers. But we have not seen any goals, just have the list of topics after the completion » (Yes, the goals seem reasonable)
5. Did the examination assess whether you have reached the goals?27 svarande
|No, not at all»||1|| 3%|
|To some extent»||7|| 25%|
|Yes, definitely»||11|| 40%|
|I don"t know/have not been examined yet»||8|| 29%|
- Having big mass of material I just need more time to prepare for the exam.» (To some extent)
Genomsnitt totalt för detta stycke: 3.03
Teaching and course administration
6. To what extent has the teaching been of help for your learning?28 svarande
|Small extent»||6|| 21%|
|Some extent»||15|| 53%|
|Large extent»||7|| 25%|
|Great extent»||0|| 0%|
- Lina is a really bad teacher. Doesn"t seem to know anything. Peyuan was great and Tuan was a bit hard to understand. » (Small extent)
- very different depending on the lecturer» (Some extent)
- I think that the lectures need a big change to next year. Now we started out with background on PSA to define what power is which took more than two lectures. In the syllabus it was stated that lecture two was suppose to be about per unit calculations and twoport equations which is fundamental to know in order to dig deeper in to this course. Now however these two topics wasn"t introduced until lecture 10/11 which made the lectures and exercises to mismatch badly. Lecture 3,4,5 was about transformers and, i don"t want to be rude, but they where not good. I won"t argue that the one responsible might be one of the most compitent people in sweden on the subject but as far as teaching others, no. It was really hard to understand what he wanted to say because his english was not on top and the teaching itself was not done in a educational manner. The explanations regarding the transformer was done in a much better way in the course "Elteknink" which i took last year.
Another negative thing was that different teachers used diffrent notations, (mixing small and capital y in the adminttans matrix calculations which could be confusing). It might be seen as a small problem but it can"t be that difficult to talk to each other in order to use the same notations.
Good things was that Peiyuan is probably the best teacher i had so far at Chalmers so adding his part was a good choice. I also liked Tuans lectures.» (Some extent)
- I know only one lecturer and one tutorial teacher who were willing to help us understand the material. All the rest were reluctant or had some difficulties in explaining the material in english.» (Some extent)
- Even» (Large extent)
- The teachings of Peiyuan, Tuan and Shemsedin were very helpful, well structured and followed the schedule. Lina"s and Per"s parts of the course were completely unstructured, didn"t follow the schedule at all and were very hard to learn from.» (Large extent)
7. To what extent has the the course literature and other material been of help for your learning?28 svarande
|Small extent»||6|| 21%|
|Some extent»||7|| 25%|
|Large extent»||14|| 50%|
|Great extent»||1|| 3%|
- The compendium contenu less details» (Some extent)
- I will search for some extra material to prepare for re-exam.» (Some extent)
- There are though some incorrect texts in the excercise parts and missing answers.» (Large extent)
- The tutorial solutions were especially helpful.» (Large extent)
- But the book is not so good. It could be clearer to some extent. Because of the many theory questions, mainly in exams, a big part of them is hard to find, or is not at all, in the course litterature.» (Large extent)
- The course compendium is good in the way that is quite small so it is easy to find what you are looking for but the downside is that some things are not explained so you have to figure/guess why some things are the way the are.» (Large extent)
8. How well did the course administration, web page, handouts etc work?28 svarande
|Very badly»||1|| 3%|
|Rather badly»||5|| 17%|
|Rather well»||16|| 57%|
|Very well»||6|| 21%|
- Information about groups for the project and the laboratory demonstration were given very late and even the TimeEdit schedule for the demonstrations were wrong until the last minute.» (Rather badly)
- The folder with "lecture material" could be better structured» (Rather well)
- It is hard for me to judge in certain way. Some of the lecture presentations were badly organized (either lack of information or too small sizes of slides printed for some reason in pdf format) » (Rather well)
9. How were the opportunities for asking questions and getting help?28 svarande
|Very poor»||0|| 0%|
|Rather poor»||5|| 17%|
|Rather good»||7|| 25%|
|Very good»||13|| 46%|
|I did not seek help»||3|| 10%|
- Would be good to have class room time for only questions. For example divide a tutorial into one houre exercise at the board and one hour free work and time to ask questions» (Rather poor)
- good help just from few teachers» (Rather poor)
10. How well has cooperation between you and your fellow students worked?28 svarande
|Very poorly»||0|| 0%|
|Rather poorly»||3|| 10%|
|Rather well»||6|| 21%|
|Very well»||19|| 67%|
|I did not seek cooperation»||0|| 0%|
11. How was the course workload?29 svarande
|Too low»||0|| 0%|
|Too high»||3|| 10%|
- High due too poor explanatory work done and lots of material delivered. The amount of topics could be feasible in case we had sufficient material explanation» (High)
12. How was the total workload this study period?28 svarande
|Too low»||0|| 0%|
|Too high»||5|| 17%|
13. What is your general impression of the course?29 svarande
- The subject in itself is very intresting but the course could have been SO much better. The organisation, some of the teachers there are so much to improve. I do not want to be rude or sound harsh but this is probably in the bottom three of all courses I have read at Chalmers and I do not think a master course should be placed this low. It is a shame when the subject is very intresting. » (Poor)
- Lina is horrible» (Fair)
- Adequate or even fair. It is sad to understand that the most important subject for power engineers had been treated as something with relevant value. My concern was about absence of knowledgeable teachers to cover some really important topics» (Adequate)
- Some teachers were really good and some were unclear and hard to follow. » (Good)
14. What should definitely be preserved to next year?- Peiyuan Chen! He is one of the best teachers I have had in a long time. Enthusiastic, talks WITH the students, stringent, speaks English well, knows his subject, has an intuitive feeling for good didactic (excellent thing to include calculation examples in the lectures, keeps students alert and I had actually learnt the stuff after that class!).»
- Tuan and Pe Yuan as lecturer»
- The project was ok, though the paper about the project has to be rewritten to next year since a lot of parts were wrong in it. And PowerWorld was really bad. Lina and Peiyuan! =)»
- The project, Shemsedin as tutor and Tuan and Peiyuan as lecturers.»
- The design project was useful and illustrative.
The project supervisor was helpful.
Every lecturer/tutor was friendly and available for questions.
The lectures on transmission lines were well-taught.
The exams focused on understanding and did not contain many calculations (that would be hard to manage with the unpractical calculator).
The exam exercises were relevant to the teaching content.
The compendium was up to the point.»
- More advanced calculators should be allowed which can solve matrix, complex number, basic equations,. This basic mathematical concepts are clearly known and are not the essence of the course. so there is no logic to lose more time doing computation rather than conceptualizing the problem.»
- I believe that the teaching method of the long transmission lines and of the symmetrical and unsymmetrical faults should remain the same.»
- The powerworld case. But improved guidance.
And the exercises.»
- Lecturer Peyoan was the best lecturer I"ve heard.»
- Peiyuan and the project, that was fun even though Powerworld was a rather "buggy" program.»
- Peiyuan Chen »
- To create more times for tutorials»
- I would preserve everything but assigned one or two more dedicated teachers to cover several topics in this course»
- I think, that better explanation could has been in some topics, which are closely related to a real life (practice). »
15. What should definitely be changed to next year?- Per Norberg. Teaching at a master"s level should require three things of the person doing the teaching: knowledge of the particular subject, a certain level of English proficiency, as well as didactic skills. Per Norberg definitely has the first, knowledge of the subject. I really appreciated some of his teaching due to his industry perspective, valuable. His didactic skills are not very good, rather average, but still ok. However, when it comes to English proficiency it falls way below what"s acceptable. I am Swedish myself so I have nothing against Swedes speaking English. However, students from all over the worlda are attending this course. Some have payed huge amounts of money to get an education of a certain quality, and THEY have to supply proof of their knowledge of English. It is obvious that the same requirement (or preferably higher) should be put on the teaching staff. Per Norberg would most probably do a good job teaching in a Swedish speaking class. Listening to him in an English speaking class however, is not a pleasure. Furthermore, such a situation is actually embarrassing for Chalmers, since it will be part of forming a picture of Chalmers in the mind of the students, a picture which will be spread to people all over the world. If we (Chalmers) want to be a well renowned university worldwide, things like those have to be changed.»
- Remove Lina»
- minimize the course module a bit so that student can give enough time to understand each things clearly»
- Change the simulation program powerworld since it always crash and doesn"t work well. More introduction and handouts for the design project since many havn"t seen the program before and doesn"t understand it that well.»
- All teachers should be well prepared about what material they are about to go through.»
- Per Norberg cannot hold the lectures on transformer. Shemshedin should practise to write on the board so it"s readable. The teachers should talk to each other on what the leactures is about, making the course easier for the students with a red line. The compendium is very poor, an other course compendium would be good. »
- Lina and Per as lecturers and better administration.»
- The lectures on transformers were very hard to follow.
The handed-out material on transformers was very hard to study. The hand-writing was bad and the style chaotic.
The tutorials often lacked synchronization with the lectures.
The content of tutorials included too many calculations/ formalism. This made them tiring and not so interesting.
The main lecturer insisted a bit too much on too basic/too theoretically-oriented things.
- The lectures should get prepared before getting in class»
- In my opinion, the way of teaching the numerical methods, p.u. basis and transformers should be changed. Most chapters were covered through tutorials without laying strong foundations during lectures »
- Number of lecturers (too many now) and some of the lecturer.»
- Transformer"s Lecturer»
- change the lecturers (especialy the transformer"s lecturer)»
- The lecturer who held the transformer lectures should make pdf format of his lectures if he"s going to put it on the webpage, because you can"t read his handwriting.»
- The transformer part, as it is now students will not learn this part.»
- Tutorials should be in close proximity and to and AFTER there respective lectures. Power-point is good for showing pictures and bad for showing complex derivations of formulas.»
- The lectures that we had in the beginning about transformers needs some changes. The slides were messy, it was difficult to go through them on your own (hard to read!). Better lecturer?»
- Many of the tasks in the exercises was very big and timeconsuming, perhaps it had been better to use more simpler tasks and step by step handle more complicated tasks. »
- Need to be changed
1)the structure of material expanding it to sufficient level
2)the sequence of lectures and tutorials (the tutorial must follow the lecture and not inversely)
3)the interaction of teachers with students (some teachers were not able to answer directly to the point trying to obviously skirt the answer instead)»
- I don"t want to offend anybody, I have really enjoyed my studies, but Lina Bertling was not enough compitent in this course. »
16. Additional comments- In my opnion the course have been very hard and I had a hard time understanding the different chapters. Maybe there could be a way to make the teaching easier to understand.»
- I wonder what all the exchange student think about Chalmers after this first very poor quarter...I"m ashamed Chalmers isn"t better than this!»
- There are quite a few bugs in the version of PowerWorld Simulator used in this course. The software needed to be constantly reset and restarted to function as expected.»
- The course from its nature contains calculations that software is supposed to perform. Students should be discharged from these calculations to the largest possible extent. More emphasis needs to be given to the concepts and ideas behind the calculations.»
- There are should be more practical related works than more theories.
Exams should test the understanding and how one can apply the knowledge in real life and not the capacity of cramming and reproducing the materials taught. »
- The course should offer to the students the opportunity to work with a more challenging project. I realized that it is easier and more practical to learn through creating your own network and by searching information in the textbooks to ensure that you follow the correct path.»
- Could have been a very good and interesting course if it were not for the lecturers. Good arrangement otherwise.»
- This is the first course in on the master program of electrical engineering and as it is now it isn"t good advertising for those people coming from outside Sweden. The first courses should be excellent so that foreign students are blown away of how good Chalmers is. This year that did not happen......»
- Difficulties to get a grip of/"swallow" the whole material for a student.»
- I want to thank Tuan and Shemsedin for cooperation and good work.»
Genomsnitt totalt för alla frågor: 3.03
Beräknat jämförelseindex: 0.67