Här kan se resultatet från utvärderingen och exportera statistiken till ett annat program. Det går också att
göra en enkel filtrering genom att klicka på svarsalternativen och kommentarerna eller en avancerad filtrering
genom att använda knappen längst ned.
Materials Characterisation and Failure Analysis, MMK081
Öppen för svar: 2008-10-15 - 2008-10-31
Antal svar: 34
Procent av deltagarna som svarat: 69%
Kontaktperson: Johan Ahlström»
Your own effort
1. How many hours per week did you spend on this course?We mean total time, that is, it comprises the time you spent in class and the time you spent on your own work. Try to estimate the average time over the entire study period.
|At most 15 hours/week»||11|| 32%|
|Around 20 hours/week»||14|| 41%|
|Around 25 hours/week»||5|| 14%|
|Around 30 hours/week»||4|| 11%|
|At least 35 hours/week»||0|| 0%|
- i have had some previous basic knowledge about the course from my graduation so i think it was less for me.» (At most 15 hours/week)
2. How large part of the teaching offered did you attend?
- Not 100% due to sickness.» (75%)
- i liked the lectures.» (100%)
- Attended all lectures and labs» (100%)
- a little bit hard to keep track of when the different lessen were, the topics changed during the course, in comparission to the course pm» (100%)
- I think it´,s important to go on the lectures and could ask if there is some problems.» (100%)
Goals and goal fulfilmentThe course syllabus states the course goals in terms of learning outcomes, i.e., knowledge, skills and attitudes to be acquired by the student during the course.
3. How understandable are the course goals?34 svarande
|I have not seen/read the goals»||2|| 5%|
|The goals are difficult to understand»||0|| 0%|
|The goals give some guidance, but could be clearer»||16|| 47%|
|The goals clearly describe what I am supposed to learn»||16|| 47%|
- The case study was from the beginning a bit unclear for me.» (The goals give some guidance, but could be clearer)
- It"s a very broad topic...
» (The goals give some guidance, but could be clearer)
4. Are the goals reasonable considering your background and the number of credits?Answer this this question and the succeeding one, only if you do know the course goals.
|No, the goals are set too low»||0|| 0%|
|Yes, the goals seem reasonable»||33|| 100%|
|No, the goals are set too high»||0|| 0%|
- Seems this course just focus on metals. For other engineering materials such as polymer and composite, is there similar course covered knowledge in this field?» (Yes, the goals seem reasonable)
- I"ve studied physics, therefore I understood the principles of SEM, EDX, XPS, AES much easier than some of my course mates, who had to struggle much more with it.» (Yes, the goals seem reasonable)
5. Did the examination assess whether you have reached the goals?33 svarande
|No, not at all»||0|| 0%|
|To some extent»||12|| 36%|
|Yes, definitely»||16|| 48%|
|I don"t know/have not been examined yet»||5|| 15%|
- Some questions in the exam were not adressed so much in the course (ex: how a tensile testing machine works).» (To some extent)
- There was nothing about the scientific literature and understanding it. Some questions in the exam were too specific, for example the comparison of two types of EDS. There were only one slide about this in lecture and practically all things on the slide had to be mentioned. Some questions were with too little background information, the galvanic corrosion between 3 metals, but no galvanic series(or potentials) given. » (To some extent)
- I think it was hard to have different teachers in different chapters and it was really hard to understand both some of the teachers and their questions on the examine. And also to little time to write.» (To some extent)
- some topics were over-assessed. SEM/EDX/Corrosion/Auger» (To some extent)
Teaching and course administration
6. To what extent has the teaching been of help for your learning?34 svarande
|Small extent»||1|| 2%|
|Some extent»||12|| 35%|
|Large extent»||16|| 47%|
|Great extent»||5|| 14%|
- I would have liked some studying questions for the chapters. » (Some extent)
- Some lectures were unnecessary (one of the NDTs and a lot of the lectures were very similar to the metal course.» (Some extent)
- I didn"t get much from the Advanced NDT lecture. The X-ray TA was really difficult to understand even though she had stuff written on a board. I still don"t know what "commy electrons" are or "Danny"s deal".» (Large extent)
- Some more about Fracture Mechanics would be usefull. Mabye instead of the AES lab» (Large extent)
- Both labs and visit at Volvo was a good thing to do to understand better what the teacher tried to give us. But some of the labs come in the wrong way so it was hard to follow when we had not read about it jet.» (Large extent)
7. To what extent has the course literature and other material been of help for your learning?34 svarande
|Small extent»||5|| 14%|
|Some extent»||15|| 44%|
|Large extent»||11|| 32%|
|Great extent»||3|| 8%|
- saknades referenser till vissa avsnitt (tex SEM) och det gjorde det lite lurigt när det var dags att börja förstå saker inför tentan.» (Small extent)
- To be honest, what course literature? If ASM is meant by this I think, whatever other course literature would be an improvement. There was too much information at the ASM and it was not written for learning, I used it as a dictionary from time to time and as a dictionary it worked alright.» (Small extent)
- AMS handbook is godd, but it is a bit hard to read from the computer. » (Some extent)
- I"m not comfortable studying lots of information from databases. I am dyslexic, which might be why. » (Some extent)
- A book would have been very useful. Some slides were really hard to understand afterwards even if you attended the lesson. (SEM and EDX slides in particular)» (Some extent)
- No good reference litterature for coorrosion, SEM, XPS, Auger part of the course. Also, the ASM handbook hasn´,t the best structure for learning.» (Some extent)
- It was a little bit hard to know what you should read ´,for the different lectures.
Bad that it was not any course literature to SEM, XPS and auger » (Some extent)
- It was good that Maria recommended a book in this course because it has help a little. I also had to have another book to understand. ASM-handbook was too many pages to read and hard to find important things in that one. Should have some pages recommended. » (Some extent)
- Some of the slides were unreadable» (Some extent)
- more practical cases in literatures. » (Large extent)
8. How well did the course administration, web page, handouts etc work?34 svarande
|Very badly»||1|| 2%|
|Rather badly»||5|| 14%|
|Rather well»||24|| 70%|
|Very well»||4|| 11%|
- Registration proceedure to the course for students coming from other unniverities and have this course as a mandatory course in their master program is unacceptable.
This caused late access to lecture notes as well as a lot of time/thoughts spent to fix this.» (Very badly)
- It would have been very useful, if the handouts were uploaded to Studieportalen before the lectures.
The lectures held by different people could have been a bit more adapted to each other, so you do not hear the same again and again.» (Rather badly)
- tycker föreläsningsanteckningarna kom upp för sent på hemsidan. de anteckningar som Uta använde har jag inte lyckats hitta på hemsidan över huvud taget.» (Rather badly)
- Please improve the handouts, they where posted on the web late evening before the lecture and I do not think it is fare to us student. Please give us the time to read the handouts same days before (at least two days).
Reading e-books was a new experience for me and I must say I am not too pleased. I took a long time do print them out (I did not print them on paper, but to the computer). The e-books are free but they steal a lot of time.
» (Rather badly)
- Handouts was not there in time so it was quite hard to read it through before and have something to write on during the lesson.» (Rather badly)
- The lecture slides could be available sooner» (Rather well)
- The slides for SEM and EDX were not put in the webpage, only provided by the lecturer in a size that needed SEM or at least a very good magnifying glass to read them.» (Rather well)
- All lecture slides were available online, except Uta Klements"s lectures.» (Rather well)
- Uta "Klements" intiative to print out the slides from her lectures was really good.» (Rather well)
- Would be great if slides were uploaded before lecture, but since Johan is reworking a lot of material it"s understandable.» (Rather well)
- Excellent usage of the mail feature informing people of events. » (Very well)
9. How were the opportunities for asking questions and getting help?34 svarande
|Very poor»||0|| 0%|
|Rather poor»||1|| 2%|
|Rather good»||13|| 38%|
|Very good»||12|| 35%|
|I did not seek help»||8|| 23%|
- Good contact via email but when asking a professor about something I don"t understand, the professor should be able to explain in other ways. Not repeating the same explanation twice... » (Rather good)
- It was easy to ask for example Johan, but the abroad ed teachers like Uta, some girl from China was very hard to understand and ask questions. It´,s hard when English is not even their 2nd language. » (Rather good)
- On the lectures we could ask for help.» (I did not seek help)
- Not very much at least, think that there would be no problem if I would have needed.» (I did not seek help)
10. How well has cooperation between you and your fellow students worked?34 svarande
|Very poorly»||0|| 0%|
|Rather poorly»||2|| 5%|
|Rather well»||18|| 52%|
|Very well»||14|| 41%|
|I did not seek cooperation»||0|| 0%|
- Bad luck with some of the people in my lab and project group. Language for one but I guess there"s different ways of working in a group in different parts of the world. » (Rather poorly)
- We had some problem with communicating to a exhange student, but in the end we solved the problems. » (Rather well)
- Many different lab groups to keep track of in both this and the other course made it very confusing sometimes. I think the same group for all the laborrations and the case study would help.» (Rather well)
- Large groups to write the report was problematic, 4-5 people at most is desirable.» (Rather well)
- The group work was difficult...» (Rather well)
- Working together helped to understand some aspects better. Labworks and case study made us work together. » (Very well)
- Every one that I have joined in a group has cooperate very well. It´,s a bit tricky when you don´,t understand each other and have different experience of for example how to write a report. Different in different countries.» (Very well)
11. How was the course workload?34 svarande
|Too low»||0|| 0%|
|Too high»||0|| 0%|
- The project should have an earlier deadline. At least one week. Its one way of distributing the workload better and a redistribution of the workload is needed. » (Adequate)
- The workload during the course were OK, but the exam was in too detailed way. I think there is no point of having so detailed questions in exam. This is my subjective opinion, I"m not used to having so long and detailed exams. » (Adequate)
- The report should be done in much smaller groups the work is usually done by 3 people anyway.» (Adequate)
12. How was the total workload this study period?33 svarande
|Too low»||0|| 0%|
|Too high»||2|| 6%|
- For me low, but I guess that it depends greatly on how well prepared you were from earlier studies.» (Low)
- High towards the end but too low in the beginning. » (High)
- New area to students with little metal background. Need more reading to catch up others.» (High)
- The questions in Engineering Metals took very much time, also the report writing (methalurgy) was happening at the same time. All this lead to general lack of time to study the actual course material, taught at that period. Most people I know thought it was stressful.» (Too high)
- Much time went to have group meeting, writing reports and with different groups so it was hard to focus on some examine studies and also understanding of lessons.» (Too high)
13. What is your general impression of the course?34 svarande
- I expected a bit more... More case studies, practical tasks etc. Lectures were not built up in the same way, it was had to adapt to different styles.» (Fair)
- I would like to give it better rating but I am so sorry to tell it is just adequate. » (Adequate)
- Too much concentration on metals» (Adequate)
- Very interesting. The case study was gived a brief in which applications faliure analysis can be used.
- I would have liked to work more with problem solving. Otherwise the course has given me a good insight in the process of failure analysis. » (Good)
- The teacher is very good. Visiting Volvo is fantastic.» (Good)
- It was good as a whole, but I sort of missed the red thread in the lectures, couldn"t they be connected a bit more? Laborations worked really well.» (Good)
- I liked the labs and also the "practical" visit at Volvo. It gave a lot to understand.» (Good)
14. What should definitely be preserved to next year?- Case study»
- Laboratory is a must. There should be more laboratory sessions and preferably more independent sessions, i.e. the students get to do something even if its wrong. That"s how you learn. Not by having a TA telling you what to do in order to go to lunch earlier.
The Volvo visit was very interesting. It made me realize that the methodology taught is actually used in the industry.»
- Visiting Volvo and case study»
- the teaching methodology.»
- Laborations. They were really helpfull to understand things.»
- 1.) Volvo visit.»
- Labworks were useful and supported the lectures well.»
- Visit to Volvo! Visits like these should be included in more courses!!»
- The miniproject was good. But it would help a little bit if there would be more detailed question, so you would know what should be included in the report.
It would had been intressting to get the report back before the exam.»
- The exams from the former years are very usefull to train our capabilities before the real exam»
- Labbarna men satsa då på att ha metallografin innan SEM-labben eftersom det skulle underlätta»
- The visit to Volvo Trucks, interesting to see how technology is used in real life.»
- Laborations and project work»
- Labs and the report writing.
Visit to volvo.»
- The labs and the "practical" visit at Volvo Penta or some other work so you see that all these exist in real life.»
- The good combination of Lectures and Labs, they actually complement one another. The lecture is a good preparation for the Lab, nice!»
15. What should definitely be changed to next year?- I got absolutely nothing out of the Advanced NDT lecture. I don"t know if it was the way Mr. Wirdelius lectured or what. I don"t know what was important from all the stuff he went through. I am glad that there are handouts of the slides because I hardly remember what he said. »
- the size of labgroups»
- Larger class rooms»
- Lab sessions. Although the equipments are expensive, practice is necessary but just watching. »
- i think the batches should have been defined by the professor.we had to work in different groups for each lab and reprots and case studies.batches could have been divided by profs and same batches could be used for both subjects in the quarter.that would allow more efficient working.»
- More about facture mechanics»
- Smaller groups for the labs and the report.»
- SEM and EDX handouts (They were both hard to understand and too small). A course book would be good.»
- 1) The lecture of qualification of NDT/NDE. This lecture was dealing with just very basic knowledge AND very advanced knowledge (mathematic modelling far beyond the knowledge level of most students).
2.) Bigger lecture room
3.) Se comment regarding registration above.»
- Some lectures repeated the topics. The tensile testing lab and lecture were in the wrong order. »
- the way of teaching.i mean teaching should be more comprehensive and deeper.»
- The failure analysis report labs should be re-worked. The instructions could be better and the labs should always be done in the right order.»
- Perharps more references to litterature»
- REFERENSER. allt är inte glasklart i fö.anteckningarna och tydligare referenser till varje föreläsning vore inte helt fel.»
- There must be some kind of book that covers the content of the course, that can be used as course literature.»
- we have little chance to communicate with the lecturer besides Johan. Like the lecturer who responsible for SEM and EDS. Actually, we learned very poor in the SEM and EDS part.»
- The course leterature»
- Smaller lab groups, 4-5people max.»
- more practise classes (övningsräkning)»
- Handouts in time! SEM- handouts where to small to see the text. Prepare the teachers to talk in English if the students going to understand them.»
- maybe smaller groups in the Lab, since writing an 8-page report with 9 students is boring. It"s said that already two cooks used to spoil a dish...»
- lot smaller groups and if that many people on the course, then at least have bigger rooms.»
16. Additional comments- Good course so far, lets se about the exam =)»
- the course was extremely well organized and i liked it.»
- I learnt lots of things during this course and it gave me strong basics in failure analysis.»
- varför författar ingen ett kompendium så att man slipper sitta och söka i blindo i AMS?»
- Thank you for your effort teaching us :)»
- Johan Ahlström is a very nice teacher and his concern about the students is very high.
The quest teachers were very nice to listen to but almost everyone said this is just a short/brief introduction.
The visit at Volvo power train lab was very good. Good lecture, everything educated in the course was used there.
The handouts I like them and not like them. During a lecture I like to print by my self, not only sitting passive and listen. Some lectures have too many slides, there will be a new slide every 45 second.
Some lectures says “,this thing”, and point on “,the thing”, instead of given it the proper name.
The lecture about SEM, we where given handouts in paper (very nice) but the pictures was so small that it was impossible to read the smallest letters.
The practical classes were very nice. Some of the teachers was very nervous and spoke very loudly.
One consideration is how the teachers have been prepared for English education by Chalmers. Every teacher has done his or her very best but the quality of the education was suffering due to poor English.
I know this is not a part of the course but the rebuilding of the M-building, has disturb the education, it has been very hard to find a computer, print out the handouts has almost been impossible due to various printer failure.